Fasting for 2018
Benefits of the Fast
1. You Learn Discipline - It was the temptation to EAT that lead to the downfall of man. The control of our appetites is linked to the control of our passions. Ezekiel 16:49-50; Jeremiah 5:7 If we can’t deal with our lust for food, how can we deal with our other lusts?
2. Cleanses Your Body - from pollutants and toxins. Fruits and vegetables are exposed to more poisonous pesticides than ever before. There are more than 1000 synthetic food additives dumped into our food supply. For example, a basic loaf of commercially refined white bread has been treated, bleached, colored, enriched, purified, softened, preserved, flavored and given a fresh odor - all by synthetic chemicals.
3. Humbles Your Soul - To humble yourself is to “offer yourself in a spirit of submission” - Webster Biblically, it means to ‘subdue yourself, to chasten your body and afflict your soul.’ Psalms 35:13; Ezra 8:21; Leviticus 23:26-28 The body is a terrible servant (Matthew 26:41). The fast brings it into subjection, while intensifying your awareness of the Spirit. Thus, when things happen, you are more conscious to react out of the Spirit, instead of following the ordinary impulses of the flesh.
4. Intensifies Your Prayers - Isaiah 58:4, 9; Judges 20. Fasting cannot be separated from prayer. During the fast, more prayer should take place. Fasting brings your whole being into focus on your prayers. Jeremiah 29:13
5. Averts the Wrath of God - Fasting in conjunction with the recognition, confession, repentance and cleansing of sin, followed by a returning to the Lord, has caused God to repent of impending judgement. Deuteronomy 9:18; 1 Samuel 7:3-6; 1 Kings 21:17-29; Ezra 10:6; Nehemiah 9:1-3; Joel 1:13-15, 2:12-19; Jonah 3:5-10.
6. Weakens the Demonic Realm - “Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting” Matthew 17:14-21. Daniel 10; Luke 4:1-13.
7. Brings Spiritual Freedom - 1) to loosen the bands of wickedness, 2) to undo the heavy burden, 3) to let the oppressed go free, and 4) to break every yoke. Isaiah 58:6
8. Brings Salvation (Deliverance) - Esther 4:10-17; Isaiah 58:8 (also see #5 & #7)
9. Special Grace is Given - 2 Chronicles 7:14; 20:1-4, 14-15; Ezra 8:21-23
10. Direction is Given - Acts 13:2-3, 14:23
11. Revelation is Received - Daniel 9:2-3, 21-22
12. Provides for the Needy - Isaiah 58:7, 10 as the fast makes you more Spiritually sensitive, you should also become more sensitive and responsive to the needy. The Lord expects us to take the food and/or money saved from not eating and “share our bread” and “extend our souls to the hungry”. This moves you from ‘the discipline of the fast’ to ‘the ministry of the fast’.
Abundant Grace’s Corporate Fast for 2018 will be a 14-day Fast in January
YOU pick the 14 consecutive days that YOU will fast, between January 2nd and 31st.
11 days will consist of the Daniel Fast
Three (3) days will be a complete fast – 24 hours with water only
· It is suggested that the complete fast be from 6pm – 6pm.
Daniel Fast (Daniel 1:11-15):
This fast consists basically of all vegetables, all fruit, whole grains, all nuts and seeds, all legumes, all quality oils (avocado, olive, grapeseed, coconut, peanut, sesame), soy products, almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, vinegar, herbs and spices.
· You will avoid meats, poultry, fish, sweets (desserts), white flour, white rice, fried foods, sugars, sodas, carbonated drinks, energy drinks, alcohol, etc.
While you are on this fast, be sure to Feed Your Spirit every day!
· Read at least one chapter in the Book of Acts every day.
Let your fasting be accompanied with Prayer – see #4 on the first page
Ps 5:3. In the morning, O Lord, you will hear my voice;
In the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.
Shut off the excesses that appeal to the flesh: TV, mobile devices, internet, etc.
Warning: to receive the full benefits of the fast, you must be careful to treat others fairly; you must not accuse, or speak critically or harshly of others. Isaiah 58:9
Remember: Fasting is not a hunger strike. Fasting is not to change God, but to change You!
The control of our appetites is linked to the control of our passions.
If we cannot control our appetite for food, how can we deal with other lust?