Gatekeepers of the Promise
Numbers 13:26-33; 14:9
Now [the spies] departed and came back to Moses and Aaron and all the congregation of the children of Israel in the Wilderness of Paran, at Kadesh; they brought back word to them and to all the congregation, and showed them the fruit of the land. 27 Then they told him, and said: "We went to the land where you sent us. It truly flows with milk and honey, and this is its fruit. 28 Nevertheless the people who dwell in the land are strong; the cities are fortified and very large; moreover we saw the descendants of Anak there. 29 The Amalekites dwell in the land of the South; the Hittites, the Jebusites, and the Amorites dwell in the mountains; and the Canaanites dwell by the sea and along the banks of the Jordan."
30 Then Caleb quieted the people before Moses, and said, "Let us go up at once and take possession, for we are well able to overcome it."
31 But the men who had gone up with him said, "We are not able to go up against the people, for they are stronger than we." 32 And they gave the children of Israel a bad report of the land which they had spied out, saying, "The land through which we have gone as spies is a land that devours its inhabitants, and all the people whom we saw in it are men of great stature. 33 There we saw the giants (the descendants of Anak came from the giants); and we were like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight."
14:9 [Joshua and Caleb said to the congregation] “Only do not rebel against the Lord, nor fear the people of the land, for they are our bread; their protection has departed from them, and the Lord is with us. Do not fear them."
You must Understand: the Promises of God always have Gatekeepers
They Guard the gates & entryways to your success & prosperity
There’s a cost for passage… to get to through the door… to the next level
That’s why many get to the gate, see the gatekeepers, and turn away
But, You have the capacity to get through the gates – “You are well able”
You don’t get past them with a password, by flashing a badge, or a secret handshake
You have to defeat these gatekeepers to get to your promises
Jesus said, “The gates shall not prevail” against His Church
What about you and your gates? (Problems, obstacles)
Will the gatekeepers prevail over your promises?
· your dreams and desires
· your destiny
· your unique idea or invention
· your success
· your prosperity
How do we defeat these Gatekeepers?
The average person lets fear, not faith, determine their future
Clear imperative: “Do not fear them” 14:9
Gatekeepers use Fear as a weapon to keep you out
FEAR: False Evidence Appearing Real
Uses ‘smoke and mirrors’ which cause us to misjudge
1. You magnify the problem Focus on the giants
God has given you a promise, or you have a grand idea, but…
Focus more on what might go wrong than what might go right
2. You give the problem all of the power
· “Giants are stronger than we are”
You overestimate the likelihood of failure
“You already know it’s not going to work”
3. You exaggerate what might go wrong if it you take the Risk
· “The land devours its inhabitants”
Yet, they identified 5 nations as inhabitants of the land
4. You underestimate yourself
· “We are not able”
· “We are like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we are in their sight”
You list your weaknesses or shortcomings
Self-talk: They won’t hire me; they won’t like me…
5. You want the majority to confirm your decision – 10 spies ~vs~ 2 spies
6. You think you can take your time before taking action
Num 14:25. Now turn around, and don't go on toward the land where the Amalekites and Canaanites live. Tomorrow you must set out for the wilderness in the direction of the Red Sea." NLT
So, you choose Safety & Comfort over facing the Gatekeepers
“Let’s go back to Egypt”
Facing the Gatekeepers involves Risk & uncertainty
Josh 3:4. For you have not passed this way before.
This is how we advance:
1. Survey the land – Count the cost Luke 14: 28-33
Not encouraging irresponsible actions
But believing that God is leading you into unchartered territory
2. Make your decisions based on your Promise – not the giants
There will always be obstacles – but you will get there!
Ex. driving to work
3. Focus on the Possibilities – the land is a good land (13:27)
It’s actually more likely that it will work, if you work it – hard & without fear
4. Have faith in Yourself – “We are well able to overcome it”
You have the ability to overcome Fear & Defeat the Gatekeepers
You have the capacity to respond to challenges as they arise
Masterpiece, Awesome, Distinctly Different, Extraordinary,
Marvelous, Valuable, Pleasing
5. Use your Advantage – Favor
· The Lord is with us. 14:9
· He will give us the land. 14:8
· God will fill you with His Spirit to accomplish what He put in your heart. Ex 31
· If you need wisdom, ask generous God and He will give it generously. Jms 1:5
· God will give a Joshua a Caleb, to keep his heart encouraged to advance
6. Don’t put off – Seize the Moment
“Let us go up at once” v 30
Do you want to be successful? Success rewards action
Are you being driven by your Faith or by your Fear?